Colonial Williamsburg is the historic area located within the city of Williamsburg, Virginia. The district includes buildings dating from 1699 to 1780 which made colonial Virginia’s capital. For most of the 18th century, Williamsburg was the center of government, education and culture in the Colony of Virginia. The Historic Area is an interpretation of an American colonial city, with exhibits including dozens of authentic or re-created colonial houses and relating to American Revolutionary War history.
The 301-acre Colonial Williamsburg is located immediately east of The College of William & Mary, which was founded at Middle Plantation in 1693. The new college was a key factor in the establishment of the town as capital of Virginia in 1698.